Counseling and Psychological Services
Columbia Psychological Services (CPS) provides free counseling, consultation, and crisis interventions for all undergraduate and graduate students who have paid the Health Service Fee.
Locations and hours
CPS's main office is open Monday - Thursday, 8:00 a.m. - 6:30 p.m. and Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. All CPS offices closed for University holidays on May 31, July 5 and September 6. CPS residence hall offices are closed during the summer.
CPS's residence hall offices are as follows:
- 100 Carman Hall - Tuesday: 7:30pm - 9:00pm; Thursday: 6:00pm - 9:00pm
- 210 East Campus - Wednesday: 5:30pm - 8:30pm; Thursday: 7:00pm - 9:00pm
- 115 Hartley Hall - Monday: 7:00pm - 9:00pm; Tuesday: 7:00pm - 9:00pm; Wednesday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- 600 W. 113th St, Room 2BB - Monday: 6:00pm - 9:00pm; Tuesday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm; Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm
- 102 Broadway Residence Hall - Tuesday, 5:30pm - 9:00pm; Thursday, 6:30pm - 10:00pm
- Jerome Greene Hall, Room 649 (Law students only) - Monday, 5:30pm - 8:30pm; Wednesday, 4:00pm - 8:00pm; Friday, 1:30pm - 3:30pm
How to make an appointment
In brief, students can make an appointment by visiting the CPS offices, or calling 212-854-2878. Detailed instructions as follows:
- Regularly scheduled appointments can be made during the Main Office Clinical Hours, which are as follows:
- Monday through Thursday: 8:00am - 6:30pm
- Friday, 8:00am - 4:30 p.m.
- In order to make a regularly scheduled appointment, call (212) 854-2878. You will be provided with a phone appointment with a counselor. Purportedly, these are scheduled within 1 business day of your initial call, but there is anecdotal evidence that the phone appointment may be scheduled up to 3 business days after your call. This phone appointment may lead to an in-person appointment, according to the urgency of your need.
- You should arrive 10 minutes early to your appointment to fill out necessary forms.
- You may also meet with a counselor during walk-in hours out of a variety of offices located in Residence Halls. Call (212) 854-2878 day-of to confirm that walk-in hours are open for locations following their normal schedule:
- If you have a psychiatric emergency outside of these available hours, you can either contact a clinician on call at (212) 854-9797, or visit your nearest emergency room. The nearest ER for students at the Morningside Campus is St. Luke’s-Roosevelt Hospital Center Psychiatric Emergency Room (212 523-4000).