An Institute is one of the university's many peculiar bureaucratic entities. It refers to a type of faculty group very similar to a Center, but with slightly more power. The main distinction is that an Institute has the power to hire tenured faculty, whereas a Center does not.
- Institute for Comparative Literature and Society
- Institute for Research on Women and Gender
- The Earth Institute
- Harriman Institute
- Weatherhead East Asian Institute
- Arnold A. Saltzman Institute of War and Peace Studies
- Institute for Social and Economic Research and Policy
...and many more.
List of institutes
See Columbia's official list of research institutes and centers.