Creative Writing Center
The Creative Writing Center is located in 310 Philosophy Hall and is sponsored and run by the Undergraduate Writing Program.
The center offers individualized 45 minute one-on-one workshops in which consultants offer feedback and strategies to help students improve at every stage of writing, from brainstorming to final drafts. The Writing Center consultants are graduate students usually in their fourth or later year of study who have had significant training and experience teaching writing at Columbia.
The Writing Center's services are available to undergraduate student from CC, SEAS, and GS, as well as all of Columbia's graduate schools. Services are not extended to the following schools, each of which has separate facilities: Barnard College, Teachers College, UTS, JTS, and the School of Social Work.
- walk in during open hours
- walk in and sign up for an appointment
- sign up for an appointment online via the Writing Center website
- You're probably going to want to schedule a week in advance. These spots fill up fast.
- You may cancel up to two hours before your scheduled appointment online. If you have to cancel after that you will need to call the Writing Center directly at 212-854-3141.
- If your University Writing professor requests you to attend, schedule an appointment the day of, since you don't want to be the kid who has to ask for an extension.
- Drop-in hours are more like "waiting around an hour or two" hours. Sometimes you get lucky, but it's easier if you just make an appointment.