Fu Foundation School of Engineering and Applied Science

From WikiCU
(Difference between revisions)
Jump to: navigation, search
m
 
(42 intermediate revisions by 13 users not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
 
{{Infobox school
 
{{Infobox school
|Name=SEAS
+
|Name=School of Engineering and Applied Science
|Image=SEASCrown.png
+
|Image=SEAS_new_logo.jpg
 
|Established=1863
 
|Established=1863
|Dean=[[Zvi Galil]]
+
|Dean=[[Mary Boyce|Mary Cunningham Boyce]]
|Degrees=[[BSE]], [[MSE]], [[PhD]]
+
|Degrees=[[BS]], [[MS]], [[Eng.Sc.D]], [[Prof. Degree]]
|Enrollment=1,431 Undergraduate, 949 Graduate students (2005)
+
|Enrollment=1,531 Undergraduate; 1,652 Masters; 697 PhD  (2012-2013)
|Website=[http://www.seas.columbia.edu/ www.seas.columbia.edu]
+
|Website=[http://www.engineering.columbia.edu/ http://www.engineering.columbia.edu/]
}}'''Fu Foundation School of Engineering and Applied Sciences''' or '''SEAS''' as it is popularly known, is the undergraduate engineering school of Columbia. No one calls it Fu. Ever. It awards degrees in engineering, applied physics and applied mathematics. SEAS was founded as the ''School of Mines'' in 1863 and then the ''School of Mines, Engineering and Chemistry'' before becoming the ''School of Engineering and Applied Science''. It was the country's first such institution. In 1997, the school was renamed in honor of Chinese businessman [[Z. Y. Fu]], who had donated $26 million.
+
}}
  
The school was originally located in [[Lewisohn Hall]] and [[Mathematics Hall]], then known as Engineering and Mines. The construction of [[Seeley Mudd Hall]] in the 60's allowed the school to move into more spacious quarters on the northeast corner of the main campus. Due to the growth of the school in the past four decades, further expansion was determined necessary, leading to the planning of the [[Northwest Science Building]], which is due to be completed in the fall of 2010.
+
'''The Fu Foundation School of Engineering and Applied Science''' (referred to for branding purposes as '''Columbia Engineering''' as of the late [[2000s]], but almost always informally referred to as '''SEAS'''), is the engineering school of Columbia. No one calls it Fu. Ever. It awards degrees in engineering, applied physics and applied mathematics.
  
The school maintains a close [[CC-SEAS Relationship|relationship]] with [[Columbia College]], and undergraduate students from both are handled by the [[Division of Student Affairs]].
+
The school maintains a close [[CC-SEAS Relationship|relationship]] with [[Columbia College]], and undergraduate students from both schools fall under the oversight of the [[Division of Student Affairs]] and live in the same dorms.
  
It is not uncommon for graduates to pursue illustrious mining careers, especially in the Democratic Republic of Congo.  Alternatively, investment banking is a popular choice, if mining in the Congo isn't your thing, with close to a third of all graduating SEAS-ers entering the financial industry.
+
In [[2011]]-[[2012]], the School's research expenditure was $125 million.
  
== Departments ==
+
== History ==
  
* Applied Physics and Applied Mathematics
+
SEAS was founded in [[1863]] by [[Thomas Egleston Jr.]] as the '''School of Mines''' and then the '''School of Mines, Engineering and Chemistry''' before becoming the '''School of Engineering and Applied Science'''. It was the country's first such institution. In [[1997]], the school was renamed in honor of Chinese businessman [[Z. Y. Fu]], who had donated $26 million.
* Biomedical Engineering
+
* Chemical Engineering
+
* Civil Engineering
+
* Computer Science
+
* Earth and Environmental Engineering
+
* [[Electrical Engineering]]
+
* Industrial Engineering and Operations Research
+
* Mechanical Engineering
+
  
[[Category:SEAS]]
+
Following Columbia's move to the [[Morningside Heights campus]], the school took residence in [[Lewisohn Hall]] and [[Mathematics Hall]], which were then known as Mines and Engineering Halls, respectively. The construction of the [[Seeley W. Mudd Building]] in the '60s allowed the school to move into more spacious (though more ugly) quarters on the northeast corner of the main campus.  Due to the growth of the school in the past four decades, further expansion was determined necessary, leading to the planning of the [[Northwest Science Building]], which opened in the spring of 2011. SEAS will benefit greatly from the opening of the [[Manhattanville campus]], including 1,000,000 square feet of space being allocated for a new [[Institute for Data Science]].
 +
 
 +
== Departments and faculty members ==
 +
 
 +
SEAS is divided into nine departments with a total of 152 members of faculty as follows:
 +
* [[Applied Physics and Applied Mathematics Department]] (29)
 +
* [[Biomedical Engineering Department]] (19)
 +
* [[Chemical Engineering Department]] (10)
 +
* [[Civil Engineering Department]] (13)
 +
* [[Computer Science Department]] (35)
 +
* [[Earth and Environmental Engineering Department]] (15) (formerly "Mining, Metallurgical, and Mineral Engineering (Henry Krumb School of Mines))
 +
* [[Electrical Engineering Department]] (20)
 +
* [[Industrial Engineering and Operations Research Department]] (16)
 +
* [[Mechanical Engineering Department]] (11)
 +
 
 +
Additional faculty unaccounted for in above departments:
 +
* [[Computer Engineering]] (10)
 +
* [[Material Science and Engineering]] (9)
 +
* Other (1)
  
 
{{Schools}}
 
{{Schools}}
 +
 +
[[Category:SEAS|*]]

Latest revision as of 01:08, 26 March 2018

School of Engineering and Applied Science
SEAS new logo.jpg
Established 1863
President {{{President}}}
Dean Mary Cunningham Boyce
Degrees BS, MS, Eng.Sc.D, Prof. Degree
Enrollment 1,531 Undergraduate; 1,652 Masters; 697 PhD (2012-2013)
Website http://www.engineering.columbia.edu/

The Fu Foundation School of Engineering and Applied Science (referred to for branding purposes as Columbia Engineering as of the late 2000s, but almost always informally referred to as SEAS), is the engineering school of Columbia. No one calls it Fu. Ever. It awards degrees in engineering, applied physics and applied mathematics.

The school maintains a close relationship with Columbia College, and undergraduate students from both schools fall under the oversight of the Division of Student Affairs and live in the same dorms.

In 2011-2012, the School's research expenditure was $125 million.

History

SEAS was founded in 1863 by Thomas Egleston Jr. as the School of Mines and then the School of Mines, Engineering and Chemistry before becoming the School of Engineering and Applied Science. It was the country's first such institution. In 1997, the school was renamed in honor of Chinese businessman Z. Y. Fu, who had donated $26 million.

Following Columbia's move to the Morningside Heights campus, the school took residence in Lewisohn Hall and Mathematics Hall, which were then known as Mines and Engineering Halls, respectively. The construction of the Seeley W. Mudd Building in the '60s allowed the school to move into more spacious (though more ugly) quarters on the northeast corner of the main campus. Due to the growth of the school in the past four decades, further expansion was determined necessary, leading to the planning of the Northwest Science Building, which opened in the spring of 2011. SEAS will benefit greatly from the opening of the Manhattanville campus, including 1,000,000 square feet of space being allocated for a new Institute for Data Science.

Departments and faculty members

SEAS is divided into nine departments with a total of 152 members of faculty as follows:

Additional faculty unaccounted for in above departments:

Columbia University Schools
Architecture, Planning and PreservationArtsArts and Sciences (Graduate School)BusinessColumbia CollegeDentistryContinuing EducationEngineeringGeneral StudiesInternational and Public AffairsJournalismLawMedicineNursingPublic HealthSocial Work
Affiliated Institutions
BarnardJewish Theological SeminaryTeachers CollegeUnion Theological Seminary
Defunct Schools
PharmacyLibrary Service
Personal tools
Namespaces
Variants
Actions
Navigation
Toolbox