Furnald is a popular, but controversial, residence hall.
For a long time, only seniors were able to get rooms in Furnald in the Room Selection process. It was very popular, not least because it had its own bar. Today Furnald is a first year and sophomore residence hall. Therefore, first years who aren't housed in Carman, John Jay or the Living Learning Center, still get to live in the quad and are protected to some extent from juniors and seniors. The remaining space is open to rising sophomores in General Selection. Typically, only sophomores with lottery numbers between 1 and 500 are able to get rooms in Furnald.
All rooms have carpets.
- Convenient location near Lerner, and, well, everything. (Perhaps the best location on campus.)
- Great campus and Broadway views.
- Nice bathrooms.
- Singles for a lucky few sophomores!
- Air conditioning.
- Lots of closet space.
- Floors 1, 2 and 10 have especially large rooms.
- 1002 is an architecturally interesting room.
- Quiet and antisocial compared to other first year dorms, and some 'sophomore' dorms.