Furnald Hall

From WikiCU
Revision as of 13:08, 28 September 2009 by Absentminded (Talk | contribs)
Jump to: navigation, search
LogoFavicon.png Welcome Class of 2017 admits...
Once you're done here, head over to the prefrosh portal.
Furnald
Furnald.jpg
Built 1913
Renovated 1996
Population 235
University Residence Halls
548 West 113th Street600 West 113th StreetBroadwayCarmanEast Campus47 ClaremontFurnaldHarmonyHartleyHoganJohn JayMcBainRiverRugglesSchapiroWallachWattWienWoodbridge

Furnald is a popular, but controversial, residence hall.

For a long time, only seniors were able to get rooms in Furnald in the Room Selection process. It was very popular, not least because it had its own bar in the basement, which reached legendary status.

Today, after being completely renovated, Furnald is a first year and sophomore residence hall. Therefore, first years who aren't housed in Carman, John Jay or the Living Learning Center, still get to live in the quad and are protected to some extent from juniors and seniors. The remaining space is open to rising sophomores in General Selection. Until 2009, typically, only sophomores with lottery numbers between 1 and 500 (about 100 or so lucky souls) are able to get rooms in Furnald. After the opening of Harmony, 25 beds were converted to freshman rooms. Now, only 50 or so rising sophomores able to pick Furnald during General Selection.

History

Furnald Hall was funded by a bequest from Francis Furnald in memory of his son, Royal Blackler Furnald (CC 1901). It was designed by McKim, Mead, and White, and opened in 1913.

During World War I, Furnald was a residence for female graduate students. During World War II, it housed "ninety-day wonder" commissioned naval officers, who were sent off to war after only three months of officer training. It then became a law school dormitory, before once again becoming an undergraduate residence hall in 1960.

By the mid-90s, Furnald had fallen into a state of disrepair. Hartley and Wallach Hall had benefited from major renovation and reconstruction in the 1960s and 1970s due to the generosity of Ira D. Wallach and Jerome L. Greene, but Furnald did not. President George Rupp ordered a $12m complete gutting and rebuilding, which was completed in 1996.[1] Furnald had traditionally been the domain of the senior class, and remained so until spring of 2000 when the administration informed students of plans to turn Furnald into an exclusively Freshman/Sophomore dormitory and launch the LLC in Hartely and Wallach. Naturally, the students, who hadn't been informed of the administration's intentions at any point, were furious, but to no avail. Cite error: Closing </ref> missing for <ref> tag


Cite error: <ref> tags exist, but no <references/> tag was found
Personal tools
Namespaces
Variants
Actions
Navigation
Toolbox