|Built|| 1928 |
|University Residence Halls|
|548 West 113th Street • 600 West 113th Street • Broadway • Carman • East Campus • 47 Claremont • Furnald • Harmony • Hartley • Hogan • John Jay • McBain • River • Ruggles • Schapiro • Wallach • Watt • Wien • Woodbridge|
Harmony Hall is a dormitory located at 544 W. 110th Street. It will hold the distinction of being the undergraduate dormitory furthest from campus starting in Fall 2009. Until 2009, Harmony was a Law School and GSAS-only dormitory, offering dirt cheap corridor living to budget conscious students as an alternative to the more expensive University Apartment Housing. While Housing Services has compared the building's layout to River Hall, the two buildings differ in one very important respect- River was the recipient of a $10 million gut renovation in 2000 making it one of the most modern and desirable dormitories at the school. Harmony, by contrast, will merely receive a fresh coat of paint when it is converted to undergraduate housing.
The building was originally built in 1928 as a clubhouse for The Explorers Club. However, the Great Depression scuttled the club's plans to finance their building through steady rental income from subletting the upper 5 stories of bedrooms in the building, and they left in 1932. The building eventually came into the possession of Columbia. One can still see the heritage of the building in the allegorical portraits representing the continents on its façade.
76 singles and 7 doubles of varying size are located corridor-style on 8 floors in the building. There are separate men’s and women’s bathrooms on most floors and co-ed bathrooms on floors 5 and 6. Each floor has a kitchen with a full-sized refrigerator, sink, and stove, and a common area with a flat-screen television attached to the kitchen.There is a laundry room in the basement, and 2 printing stations in the main lobby. There is bicycle storage in the basement.