McBain is a residence hall that mostly houses sophomores in doubles. It is on the south-east corner of 113th St and Broadway. It is sometimes known as 'Carman 2' because it is full of sophomores and the social atmosphere is similar to Carman.
Doubles in the McBain shaft are considered to be among the worst rooms at Columbia. They are typically selected as 'blind' doubles in General Selection. They range from 195 to 209 sq ft. Due to the shaft, they have no views, and are hot, noisy, and dark. The 06 and 25 lines are especially bad because they only have one small window.
- Computer lab.
- RA Rooms: 103, 213, 320, 419, 514, 519, 619, 719, 819.
- 14 walk-through doubles
- 18 big singles
- 53 singles
- 128 doubles
Advantages and disadvantages
- Many exterior doubles are large and have nice views.
- Great walk-through doubles in the corners of the building.
- Located near the Broadway restaurants and shops.
- 19 line is a 174 sq ft single.
- 04 line is a 140 sq ft single.
- 10 line is a 331 sq ft corner double.
- Only one elevator, and it's slow.