Pi Kappa Alpha
|Pi Kappa Alpha|
|Org Founded:||1868 at the University of Virginia|
|CU Chapter:||Iota Lambda|
|Motto:||"Once a Pike, Always a Pike"|
Pi Kappa Alpha, also known as Pike, is a national fraternity founded in 1868, and at Columbia in 1990. The national fraternity has over 220 chapters and colonies and over 250,000 lifetime initiates in North America.
2013 pledge scavenger hunt
On March 2, 2013, Bwog posted a scavenger hunt list ostensibly leaked to it by a Pike pledge. The post predictably resulted in a long thread of pro- and anti-Greek sentiments, and arguments about rape culture and whether the scavenger hunt was hazing or not. (It is worth noting that Student Affairs's "Anti-Hazing New Member" policy explicitly mentions scavenger hunts are as a prohibited activity.
The scavenger list included such items as "Nametag of a McDonald's worker," "A homeless man's shoe," and "Panties from an XXL girl." It also notably included "Video of a pledge poonspeeding (eating a pussy while wearing a swimcap and goggles)". This last item was seized upon by many blogs, including New York magazine and Total Frat Move.
The scandal resulted in a closed hearing before the Greek Judicial Board, the results of which were never released.
Pi Kappa Alpha selects potential brothers based on the criteria of "Scholars, Leaders, Athletes, and Gentlemen" or S.L.A.G., aiming to find candidates who exemplify these traits. Pikes are active within the Columbia community in student council, debate, rugby, crew, intramural sports, a cappella, squash, and more.
- Hosts the annual Taylor Trudeau Cycle for Life fundraiser to raise money for blood cancer research
- Raised over $12,000 (most on campus) for the American Cancer Society's 2012 Relay for Life through donations and co-hosting a basketball tournament with KDR
- Brothers annually volunteer to clean up Riverside/Morningside Park
2011-12 Academic Year
- Most Improved Chapter Award
- ALPHA Standards of Excellence Five Stars
- Community Involvement Award
- Greek Man of the Year
- Order of Omega Community Service Award
- Tom Kitt, CC '96 - Composer of score for the musical Next to Normal, winning 2 Tony awards and was co-winner of the 2010 Pulitzer Prize for Drama
- Tom Forman, CC '95 - Co-creator of Extreme Makeover: Home Edition and winner of 3 Primetime Emmys
- Allen Ginsberg once lived in the fraternity's former brownstone, before the organization moved in (and then out).
- ↑ http://bwog.com/2013/03/03/overseen-scavenger-hunt/
- ↑ http://www.studentaffairs.columbia.edu/resprograms/fraternity_sorority/semester
- ↑ http://nymag.com/thecut/2013/03/frat-scavenger-hunt-rewards-obscure-sex-act.html
- ↑ http://totalfratmove.com/pike-scavenger-hunt-checklist-found-at-columbia-university-new-sex-act-revealed/
- ↑ http://www.cosmopolitan.com/celebrity/news/poonspeeding-columbia-frat
- ↑ http://gothamist.com/2013/03/04/columbia_fraternitys_pledge_scaveng.php
|Greek life at Columbia|
|IFC Fraternities: Alpha Delta Phi • Alpha Epsilon Pi • Beta Theta Pi • Delta Sigma Phi • Kappa Delta Rho • Phi Gamma Delta • Pi Kappa Alpha • Psi Upsilon • Sigma Chi • Sigma Nu • Sigma Phi Epsilon • Zeta Beta Tau|
|Panhel Sororities: Alpha Chi Omega • Alpha Omicron Pi • Delta Gamma • Gamma Phi Beta • Kappa Alpha Theta • Sigma Delta Tau|
|Multicultural Greek Fraternities: Phi Iota Alpha • Alpha Phi Alpha • Kappa Alpha Psi • Omega Psi Phi • Pi Delta Psi • Lambda Phi Epsilon • Sigma Lambda Beta|
|Multicultural Greek Sororities: Lambda Pi Chi • Sigma Iota Alpha • Delta Sigma Theta • Kappa Phi Lambda • Sigma Lambda Gamma|
|Inactive (de-recognized): Alpha Kappa Alpha, Sigma Alpha Epsilon|