|University Residence Halls|
|548 West 113th Street • 600 West 113th Street • Broadway • Carman • East Campus • 47 Claremont • Furnald • Harmony • Hartley • Hogan • John Jay • McBain • River • Ruggles • Schapiro • Wallach • Watt • Wien • Woodbridge|
Ruggles suites 708-714 and 808-814 were renovated during the summer of 2006. Housing Services is considering renovating further suites this summer.
Most 4-person suites go to juniors or occasionally seniors. Most 7-person suites go to crafty sophomores (who are willing to take two doubles to get three singles) and mixed-class groups.
Ruggles was originally the Arizona Hotel. In 1964, the university purchased it and converted it into a graduate residence. It was later made into undergraduate housing.
Bad shit that's happened here:
Floors 7 & 8: recently renovated and kitchens have dishwashers.
- 16 4-person suites
- 1 1st floor 5-person suite
- 2 1st floor 6-person suites
- 12 8-person suites with 2 singles and 3 doubles
- 2 8-person suites with 4 singles and 2 doubles
Advantages and disadvantages
- A short walk to JJ's Place, the John Jay Dining Hall, Butler, and Hamilton Hall. Strokos is practically next door
- Parties more feasible than you'd think
- Some huge (175+ sq ft) singles
- Weekly cleaning of common areas
- High floors have access to the roof. Actually going up there is prohibited, but rarely enforced unless a lot of people are there
- Good soundproofing between rooms
- Exposed pipes
- Poor lighting
- Rodent infestation
- Poor temperature regulation
- Small bathroom in 8 person suites is very small (25 sq. ft)
- Insufficient laundry equipment (4 washers and 4 dryers when all are operational)
- Slow single elevator
- You have to take your garbage to the basement yourself
- No stair access to basement
- Inadequate common area (no chairs; flat screen with no remote)
- Many rooms exposed to nighttime noise on Frat Row
Note: These images are from renovated suites only.
508 W. 114th St.
New York, NY 10027