Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory

From WikiCU
(Redirected from Lamont-Doherty)
Jump to: navigation, search

The Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory is a 157-acre campus. It is located in Palisades, New York on the west bank of the Hudson River.

Lamont-Doherty is a key part of the Earth Institute. Scientists at Lamont-Doherty try to map and understand the planet, from the core to the seafloor to the atmosphere. 120 PhD researchers and 90 graduate students conduct research at LDEO. The LDEO Marine Operations operates a research ship owned by the National Science Foundation, the R/V Marcus Langseth (replaced the R/V Maurice Ewing in 2006).

A free shuttle bus transports CUID holders from Morningside Heights to LDEO regularly on weekdays.

Campus history

The LDEO campus was originally "Torrey Cliff", the weekend estate of Wall Street banker Thomas W. Lamont. When he died in 1948, his widow, Florence Corliss Lamont (a Columbia alumnus) donated the estate to the University as an unrestricted gift. Two years later Columbia would be the beneficiary of the bequest of another country estate when they received the "Arden" estate in Orange County, NY.

The Lamont Geological Observatory was founded at the estate in 1949 under Maurice Ewing. It was renamed "Lamont-Doherty" in 1969 after a donation from the Henry L. and Grace Doherty Charitable Foundation. In 1993, the name was changed from Geological Observatory to Earth Observatory.

In 2007, LDEO celebrated the opening of the new 63,000 sq ft. Gary C. Comer Geochemistry Building.

Other facilities include the Geoscience Library, a labs for the study of geoscience, seafloors, marine biology, oceanography, paleo-magnetics, boreholes, and seismology. The campus features a cafeteria and guesthouse as well.


<googlemap lat="41.004063" lon="-73.907046" type="map" zoom="15" width="600" height="400" controls="small"> </googlemap>

External links