2009 in Columbia history...
- January: Lee Bollinger announces that the ongoing financial crisis causes a catastrophic drop in Columbia's endowment funds
- January 20: Barack Obama inaugurated, the first Columbia College graduate to become President of the United States
- March 20 - 22: The university opens the first of its Columbia Global Centers in Amman, Jordan and Beijing, China
- March 24: Due to an ongoing budget crunch, the Columbia College administration announces plans to admit 50 more students into the Class of 2013, and an indeterminate number of transfer students. To accommodate them, a former graduate residence, Harmony Hall, is opened to the housing lottery
- March 30: University makes a 10% cut in the number of incoming PhD students as part of additional cost-cutting measures
|History of Columbia University