Bacchanal is a student-run organization that plans a variety of events, including Columbia's premiere annual spring festival, Concert on the Steps, among other projects like carnivals, parties and more. It is organized by Bacchanal Events. While historically receiving funding a manner similar to other groups under the ABC mantle, Bacchanal now receives a separate allocation from governing boards during F@CU.
The spring concert is a free concert on the steps of Low open to undergraduate Columbia ticket-holders. Its aim is to increase school spirit and release some of the students' stress before the end of the year exams. Past performers include: Macklemore, Big Sean, Snoop Dogg, Vampire Weekend, Kanye West, and Bob Saget. Before new restrictions placed in 2015, the spring concert was preceded by a week-long series of fun activities, such as a spring bbq, inviting food trucks onto college walk, and a public movie screenings on 4/20. The food trucks still make an appearance. Past themes have included 'Baccha90s', 'Abacchalypse', and 'Chewbacchanal'.
Past events Bacchanal has organized include the Fall Concert, a more intimate and smaller dance party hosted in Lerner Party Space, and Lowlapalooza, a day long music festival showcasing Columbia musicians in association with CU Records. Previous artists for the fall concert include Micky Avalon.
To raise revenue, Bacchanal sells an assortment of merchandise in weeks leading up to the spring concert.
Past Year Performers:
- 2021- A$AP Ferg, Yaeji, Flo Milli
- 2020- Cancelled due to COVID-19 Pandemic
- 2019- Tierra Whack, SOPHIE, Rina Sawayama
- 2018- Soul for Youth, St. Beauty, Kamaiyah, Ty dollah $ign
- 2017- AlunaGeorge, DRAM, Mykki Blanco, Almand
- 2016- Rae Sremmurd, Bibi Bourelly, Marian Hill, Michael Blume, Hippie Sabotage
- 2015- Big Sean, Raury, Brenmar
- 2014- Lupe Fiasco, Chainsmokers
- 2013- Macklemore, Flosstradamus
- 2012- Big Gigantic, Curren$y, Wavves
- 2011- Snoop Dogg, Das Racist
- 2010- Wiz Khalifa, Ghostface Killah
- 2009- Vampire Weekend, Talib Kweli
- 2008- Grizzly Bear, The National
- 2004- Kanye West, John Legend