C. V. Starr East Asian Library
The C.V. Starr East Asian Library is located at 300 Kent Hall, near the Amsterdam Avenue entrance to campus.
The library houses one of the largest collections of East Asian literature and reference materials in the United States. It currently holds in excess of 810,000 volumes of Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Tibetan, Mongol, Manchu, and Western-language materials and over 6,600 periodical titles, and more than 55 newspapers.
Brief History of the Starr East Asian Library from the Columbia University Library information page 
The East Asian Library has its origins over one hundred years ago, when a donation to Columbia was made to establish a Department of Chinese. The Trustees approved the addition, and in 1902 Frederick Hirth was appointed the first Professor of Chinese at Columbia, as well as the first curator of the Chinese book collection.
The then President of Columbia University, Seth Low, on receiving this donation, wrote to E. H. Conger, American Minister to Peking, asking for help to build a Chinese library and a Chinese Museum, in addition to the professorship. Li Hung-chang, regarded as prime minister to the Empress Dowager, wrote to Conger on November 3, 1901, four days before Li's death. On behalf of the Empress Dowager, Columbia University was given the 5,044-volume encyclopedia, Tu shu ji cheng, which was received early in 1902, forming the foundation of the Chinese collection. (Unfortunately, Professor Hirth rebound the encyclopedia in Western style, for ease of handling.)