Faculty House

From WikiCU
Revision as of 20:40, 18 September 2020 by Gutenwod (talk | contribs)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search
Faculty House

Faculty House was built in 1923 and designed by Columbia campus architects McKim, Mead, and White. Professor Andrew Dolkart considers this to be their most banal, uninspired building on campus.

It is located at 64 Morningside Drive, (prior to the renovation, its official mailing address was 400 W. 117th Street, owing to the fact that its front door opened onto the once-extant 117th Street) between the President's House and East Campus. It replaced the Faculty Club. It closed for 16 months in Spring 2008 for a full restoration and reopened on September 8, 2009. Faculty House was renovated to the U.S. Green Building Council’s LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) certification standards.

On more than one occasion, items have been robbed from Faculty House by people simply walking in wearing business casual attire.

Services and Events

Faculty House is a 38,000-square-foot facility that hosts a wide variety of functions, including receptions, social events, meetings, conferences, and seminars. It's also the frequent scene of fancy dinners thrown by professors for their classes and career recruitment presentations by the likes of investment banks.

Several campus establishments are located in Faculty House. The Ivy Lounge and Coffee bar, located on the 1st floor, is a full-service bar. The Market Cafe, located on the 2nd floor, is a casual campus lunch spot. The Dining Room, located on the 4th floor, offers a more formal lunch buffet.

Graduate students can get a 10% off discount card for $10.

The Rabi-Warner Concert Series is hosted at Faculty House, and the University Seminars office is located in the building as well.

External links