The Grove Dormitories were four proposed five story dormitories to be built in The Grove. The plans were commissioned by Seth Low from McKim, Mead, and White in June of 1898 after Low caved to pressure from the trustees (many of whom pointed out that their sons were opting to attend Harvard, Princeton, and Yale instead of Columbia because of the "college life" they offered) to build housing for students on the Morningside Heights campus. This came on the heels of the plan for the privately owned and operated Hamilton Court dormitory fell through. Low was philosophically opposed to a residential system, and despite having the plans commissioned, never put the effort into getting them funded and built. It wouldn't be until Marcellus Hartley Dodge donated Hartley Hall in 1903 that a dormitory would finally get built.