How to apply to be a Resident Adviser
Resident Adviser Job Requirements
- Current full-time first-year, sophomore, or Junior CC or SEAS students.
- Have guaranteed housing.
- Have a minimum GPA of 2.5 and be in good academic and behavioral standing.
- Creative and energetic students who are strong team players and good listeners.
- Attend a mandatory RA information session. These typically take place in mid-November and outline the RA job description and requirements.
- Submit an application. Past applications have included general information and three short-response essays.
- Attend the RA fair. The fair allows job candidates to ask questions of current residential life staff and learn about the different RA areas (The Block, Southfield, the LLC, East Campus, and West Campus).
- Take part in the RA interview date. There are three phases of interview date:
- A group discussion, where three hypothetical scenarios are given out and candidates must discuss possible solutions to the issues.
- A group exercise, where candidates must work together to complete an assigned activity.
- An individual interview, where residential life staff ask the candidates questions and perform a role-play scenario.
Tips on Applying
- Talk to current RAs! They have great advice on everything from the application process to where you might want to work as an RA.
Columbia Resident Adviser Website: http://www.studentaffairs.columbia.edu/RA
Residential Communities at Columbia: http://www.studentaffairs.columbia.edu/resprograms/areas.php