How to create a how to guide
How to guides are a great way to contribute to institutional memory at Columbia. Started in 2013 by the WikiCU team and the Communications Committees of CCSC and ESC, the guides are now open to the Columbia community. We're always looking for additional information, so we encourage you to create a guide of your own.
- Request a WikiCU account.
- Check to see if your desired guide already exists by using the search box or by browsing the How to guides landing page.
- If your guide does not yet exist, go to the Main page of wikicu.com.
- Type the name of your desired guide into the search bar on the center of the page.
- Each guide should begin with "How to"
- Only proper nouns and "How" should be capitalized.
- Guide titles should not end with a period.
- Keep titles as brief as possible.
- You will then be brought to a "Search results" page. Below a series of checkboxes, you will see bold text which says "Create the page "How to..." on this wiki!" Click on the name of your guide in red to create the page.
- In the textbox, you can now begin crafting your guide.
- Provide a brief background on your topic. You can link to other pages or guides on WikiCU by putting the name of the page inside of double brackets (i.e. [[Page title here]]).