User talk:Jodessky

From WikiCU
Revision as of 20:30, 28 October 2012 by Jodessky (talk | contribs) (How to Reserve Space on Campus)
Jump to: navigation, search

How to Reserve Space in Earl Hall

Unlike Lerner Hall and other areas on campus controlled by UEM (University Event Management), Earl Hall is operated by the University Chaplain’s office. Earl Hall has three spaces that can be reserved: the Dodge Room, the Schiff Room, and the Auditorium.

1. Determine if Earl Hall is the right space for you.

- Earl Hall is not a space for parties or other activities involving dancing or music that may interfere with other events in the building.

- Earl Hall is not a rehearsal space.

- Earl Hall is not a space for filming or photo shoots, with the exception of weddings, memorial services, or christenings. Taking photographs and filming in the Chapel may prevent other from praying, meditating or reflecting.

- No balloons or pets are permitted in Earl Hall.

Note that Earl charges for security, maintenance, staffing, and AV/tech costs, and they sometimes charge for use of the space itself depending on the type of event. They prioritize Earl Hall Affiliates (Office of the University Chaplain, United Campus Ministries, and Community Impact) first, student groups and University Affiliates second, and outside groups and individuals third.

2. Check the calendar of events to see when space is available. The calendar can be found here:

3. To put in a space request, use the Earl Hall Space Request form available here: [1]. You may also print out this form and bring the hard-copy to the Administrative Office in 110 St. Paul's Chapel or 203 Earl Hall. You can also fax the form to (212) 854-6577.

How to Reserve Space on Campus

Space on Columbia’s urban campus is often hard to come by. It is important that you begin thinking about space early in your event planning process, and if you are a recognized student group, it is recommended that you put in space requests during the pre-calendaring process to ensure you get rooms booked.

1. Determine the type of space you are looking for. Below is a listing of buildings in which you are able to book space, along with the types of space available. - Alfred Lerner Hall: Performance space, ramp tables, dance practice rooms, meeting/board rooms, piano Lounge, large event space - Undergraduate Academic Buildings (Hamilton Hall, Kent Hall, Mathematics Hall, Pupin Hall): Classrooms, meeting/board rooms

If you have questions about space in Alfred Lerner Hall, residence halls, or outdoors, you will want to get in contact with University Event Management. Their office is located on the 7th floor of Alfred Lerner Hall, which is accessible from the west-side elevators and staircase. They have student event open hours, in which you can drop by the office and get your concerns addressed directly, on the following schedule:

Mondays -- 11 am - 12 pm Tuesdays -- 10 am - 12 pm, 6 pm - 7 pm Wednesdays -- 2 pm - 3 pm, 6 pm - 7 pm Thursdays -- by appointment until 4 pm, 4 pm - 5 pm Fridays -- 10 am - 1 pm

2. Follow the space-request procedures for your location. How to Reserve Space in Earl Hall