A major is a specialization in a particular subject, forming a large part of a typical undergraduate's course of studies. It's little brother is a concentration (minors don't exist at Columbia).
Columbia College students declare their majors during the second semester of sophomore year.
How to declare a major online
- Navigate to the Columbia Student Advising Page here.
- Click the "Declare Major" button
- Enter UNI and password
- Select major or concentration from drop down menu
- Select additional major, concentration, or special concentration from drop down menu (optional)
- Click Submit
- Check your email for confirmation and information about advising in your new department
Departments that also need written approval
The following departments also require written approval before you can officially declare. Print out this form before you go!
- Architecture Department
- Institute for Comparative Literature & Society (for comparative literature & society major)
- Creative Writing Department
- Earth & Environmental Sciences Department
- East Asian Languages & Cultures Department
- School of the Arts (for film studies major)
- Italian Department
- Latin American and Iberian Cultures Department
- Physics Department
- Earth Institute (for sustainable development major)
- Urban Studies Program (for urban studies major)
- Visual Arts Department