Getting to Columbia
| Welcome Class of 2017 admits...|
Once you're done here, head over to the prefrosh portal.
To try to cut costs on taxi travel, see what you can get on Carsplit.
- LaGuardia Airport is the closest to the campus.
- Take the M60 bus directly to the campus, every half hour, for $2.50 (in coins or on a Metrocard).
- Taxi for about $30, including tip.
- Super Shuttle van for $17
- Car: take the Grand Central Parkway east to the Whitestone Parkway (I-678). Follow it across the Whitestone Bridge and onto I-95 south. Follow directions from the north.
- AirTrain JFK - take this to Jamaica station. Will cost $7.25 total ($5 for AirTrain, $2.50 for Subway).
- Ride the E to 42nd St–Port Authority. Follow the signs to the 1 at 42nd St–Times Square and take the uptown 1 to Columbia.
- Another option is to take the E to 7Av/53rd St, transfer to an uptown B or D train, and then transfer to the 1 at Columbus Circle
- Alternatively, take the AirTrain to Howard Beach and ride the A line to 59th St–Columbus Circle, then transfer to the 1 train going uptown.
- By far the quickest (and most comfortable) way by rail is taking the LIRR to Penn Station. Take the Airtrain to Jamaica, and then board the next inbound train at LIRR Jamaica Station. Depending on when you travel, the total cost will be $15.25 or $13: $5 AirTrain + $8 LIRR (peak) or $5.75 LIRR (off-peak) + $2.25 subway. Make sure to purchase your ticket at one of the machines before boarding the train, because buying the ticket directly from the conductor on the train will $14 (peak) or $12 (off-peak).
- Taxi for about $60, including toll and tip.
- Super Shuttle van for $17.
- Take the Van Wyck Expressway (I-678) to the Whitestone Bridge and across. Follow directions from the north.
- If you want to be really cheap, you could take the Q10 bus and use the free transfer to get onto the E or F at Kew Gardens-Union Turnpike. The total cost would be $2.50.
- AirTrain Newark - $15, including New Jersey Transit ticket to Penn Station. Take the 1 from Penn Station to Columbia ($2.25 Metrocard required).
- Taxi for about $85, including toll and tip.
- Newark: Follow directions above for from the south or west.
- Note that in NYC right turns at red lights are illegal unless otherwise stated by traffic signs.
From the north
Take the New York Thruway (I-87) or the New England Thruway (I-95) south to the Cross Bronx Expressway (I-95) in the direction of the George Washington Bridge. Take the exit for the Henry Hudson Parkway south downtown, 9A (the last exit before the bridge).
(From New England, a good alternative to these routes is to take the I-84 from Hartford to the I-684 and then to the Saw Mill River Parkway, which then becomes the Henry Hudson Parkway.)
Exit the Parkway at West 95th/96th Street. After the underpass, make a right onto 95th Street and then a left onto Riverside Drive. Follow directions from Riverside Drive and West 95th Street.
From the south or west
Take the New Jersey Turnpike north or I-80 east to the George Washington Bridge. As you cross the bridge, take the exit for the Henry Hudson Parkway south downtown. Exit the Parkway at West 95th/96th Street. After the underpass, make a right onto 95th Street and then a left onto Riverside Drive. Follow directions from Riverside Drive and West 95th Street.
From Long Island
Take the Long Island Expressway or the Grand Central Parkway west to the Cross Island Parkway north. Cross the Throgs Neck Bridge onto the Cross Bronx Expressway (I-95 south) and follow directions from the north.
From Riverside Drive and West 95th Street
Go north on Riverside Drive to 116th Street. Turn right and go two blocks to Broadway and the University's main gate (which is not open to traffic).
- If you are arriving at Grand Central Terminal, take the crosstown S to 42nd Street Times Square and take the uptown 1 to 116th Street. Coming in by Metro-North, however, it is quicker to get off at 125th-Harlem and take the M60 west from 125th and Park.
- If you are arriving at Penn Station, take the uptown 1 to 116th Street.
- Buses arrive in NYC at the Port Authority Bus Terminal. Take the underground passageway to Times Square and take the uptown 1 to 116th Street.
NYC public transport
- Take the M4, M5, M11, M60, or M104 bus lines.
- The M60 bus line is a direct link between Columbia and LaGuardia Airport.
- Take the #2 (express) or #3 (express) train uptown to 96th Street, then transfer to the #1 (local).
- Take the #1 (local) train to 116th Street-Columbia University.