Marcellus Hartley Dodge Physical Fitness Center
The Marcellus Hartley Dodge Physical Fitness Center is the Morningside campus's primary recreational fitness facility. Located underground in the northern part of campus, the facility was originally built in response to the failure to construct the Morningside Park Gymnasium in the 1960's. Due to Columbia's strapped budget, Dodge was built on a limited budget, which manifested itself in skimping on the interior decoration: "Cinderblock, unfortunately, abounds... spaces seem designed in a sort of neo-Carman rococo" with "blocks molded of serrated concrete[.]"
As of 2007, Dodge is visited by approximately 3,000 users a day, sometimes breaking 4,000 a day during peak periods in winter. When the Tri-Level fitness center was opened after renovation in fall of 1995, usage was at 2,000 a day. 
- 1 Hours of operation
- 2 Facilities
- 3 Tips and notes
- 4 External links
- 5 References
Hours of operation
- Monday-Thursday: 6am-12am
- Friday: 6am-10pm
- Saturday: 10am-10pm
- Sunday: 10am-12am
The pool has separate hours:
- Monday-Friday: 12-2pm, 7-9:30pm
- Saturday-Sunday: 1-5pm, 7-9pm
Winter, Spring Break, and Summer
- Monday-Thursday: 7am-11pm
- Friday: 7am-9pm
- Saturday: 12pm-5pm
- Sunday: 12pm-7pm
Closed periods during 2007
- May 14 - May 20
Note that it is very difficult to locate the hours of operation on the Dodge fitness center website. This is in keeping with Columbia's culture of opacity and a chronic inability to anticipate even the most basic needs of its students. Also note the diaspora of Columbia webpages, most of which share no design resemblance to others, and are inaccessible from anything save Google. This reflects the size, ineptitude and sheer chaos of Columbia's labyrinthine bureaucracy.
The equipment in Dodge is all leased, making it the only Ivy League gym with all-leased equipment. The majority of equipment is kept on a 4-year lease, while Cardio equipment is kept on 2-year leases. This allows for the regular and frequent updating and replacement of equipment in Dodge. In 2007 the strength training equipment was replaced for a cost of $200,000. 
- Multipurpose hardwood floor gymnasium featuring three NCAA regulation basketball courts
- Configurable for other sports including indoor soccer and volleyball
University Gym (Blue Gym)
- Multipurpose athletics gymnasium with mondo rubberized performance surface
- Configurable for basketball, soccer, volleyball and badminton
Percy Uris pool
- Eight-lane 25-yard swimming pool with diving well
- Used for recreational swim and instructional classes
Tri-Level physical fitness center
- Three-story open area cardio-fitness and strength training facility
- State-of-the-art machines include treadmills, elliptical trainers, steppers and selectorized weight training systems
Indoor running track
- One hundred sixty meter running track with competitive banked turns and mondo rubberized performance surface
Squash and handball courts
- Eleven American-size courts suitable for squash, racquetball, paddleball and handball
Men and women's locker rooms
- Changing rooms with full showers and restroom facilities
- Scandinavian sauna available in both men and women’s locker rooms
Dodge also houses the Athletics department offices, and a number of training facilities for varsity teams, including the Fencing Room, and the Aldo T. "Buff" Donelli Strength Room.
Tips and notes
- Best time to go?
- Sign up for Intramural Sports or Club Sports if just working out isn't enough.
- Squash Courts can be reserved for 60 minute blocks. Just call Dodge ahead of time.
- Dodge Fitness Center website
- Levien Gym Schedule for the current week
- Blue Gym Schedule for the current week
- Spectator Architecture Review of Dodge, 6 December 1974; and accompanying history of Columbia's many previous failed attempts at building gyms
- Spectator Architecture Review of Dodge
- Dodge Renovations (Feb 1995); New Look for Dodge (Sept 1995); Fine Tuning The New Fitness Center (October 1995)
- Dodge Boasts New Equipment, Student Popularity - The Spec 9-20-07 Note that this article has an incorrect date for the renovation.