School of Library Service
The Columbia College School of Library Economy was established in 1887 by Melvil Dewey, then the chief librarian. In 1889, it moved to Albany and became the New York State Library School (NYSLS). In 1926, NYSLS merged with Library School of New York Public Library and rejoined Columbia.
In 1990, provost Jonathan Cole commissioned a review that advocated for its closure. The report cited a "lack of a research agenda, and a lack of a base of professional knowledge". Needless to say, the librarians were pissed. 
|Columbia University Schools|
|Architecture, Planning and Preservation • Arts • Arts and Sciences (Graduate School) • Business • Columbia College • Dentistry • Continuing Education • Engineering • General Studies • International and Public Affairs • Journalism • Law • Medicine • Nursing • Public Health • Social Work|
|Barnard • Jewish Theological Seminary • Teachers College • Union Theological Seminary|
|Pharmacy • Library Service|