Asian American Alliance
|Asian American Alliance|
The Asian American Alliance is a student group for the Asian Pacific American community. It claims to be one of the largest organizations at Columbia, with over 1,200 members on its mailing list, reportedly from all schools and disciplines of the undergraduate, graduate, faculty, and administrative populations of the University, as well as individuals and organizations beyond Columbia. The executive board is comprised of 20 students from Columbia College, SEAS, and Barnard.
The Asian American Alliance works with groups of all types and of all backgrounds including student of color organizations, progressive groups, student government, political organizations, community service organizations, off campus groups, student conferences, and the University administration.
Founded in the spring of 1995, the AAA is a student organization that strives to serve the Asian Pacific American (APA) community at Columbia. AAA is a collaborative organization that works with APIA and other student of color groups to reach members of the university and the outside community at large. In this way, it promotes understanding, fosters dialogue and creates awareness.
AAA's purpose is to educate themselves and others, to organize and to mobilize. They seek to cultivate a common understanding and a greater respect for the APA community.
The APIA community at Columbia is in a perpetual state of transformation. Inherent in the structure and goals of the organization is the ability to change in conjunction with evolving issues facing the APIA community. Nevertheless, AAA will remain true to its fundamental goal of serving the community by dedicating itself and its resources to student activism.
Established in 1995, the Asian American Alliance is composed of three committees: the Political Committee, the Service Committee, and the Social Committee.
- The Political Committee, headed by the Political Chair of AAA, discusses issues of social and political concern and is the think tank of activism endorsed by AAA.
- The Service Committee, headed by the Community Chair of AAA, learns about and promotes awareness of issues affecting Asian American communities through civic-level organization, assistance, and service.
- The Social Committee, headed by the Social Chair of AAA, produces and execute AAA's annual variety show and largest event on campus, cultureSHOCK, as well as various other social events during the year.
2014-2015 Executive Board
- President: Albert Pan
- Vice President: Bou Lee
- Secretary: Justin Chiang
- Treasurer: Khoi Nguyen
- Social Chair: Caroline Chiu
- Political Chair: Siran Jiang, Ivy Pan
- Service Chair: Anna Fu, Eric Ho
- Outreach Chair: Jack Chen
- Project Manager: Will Guo
- Project Manager: Eileen Wong
- 2014-2015: Albert Pan
- 2013-2014: Jiawen Tang
- 2012-2013: Jordan Alam
- 2011-2012: Angel Wong
- 2010-2011: Ihnseon Park
- 2009-2010: Kevin Zhai
- 2008-2009: Aretha Choi (resigned), Shilpa Vadodaria & Katie Wang
- 2007-2008: Calvin Sun
- 2006-2007: Tian Xie
- 2005-2006: Bryan Lee
- 2004-2005: Margaret Chen
- 2003-2004: Valerie Arboleda