College of Physicians and Surgeons
|College of Physicians and Surgeons|
|Enrollment||1,004 students (2005)|
The College of Physicians and Surgeons (or P&S) is Columbia's medical school. It is affiliated with NewYork–Presbyterian Hospital.
P&S is not Columbia's original medical school. King's College established a medical school and conferred the first MD in North America in 1770. The school was refounded in 1791 after Columbia was reopened after the war, but only lasted until 1813. The original dean of medicine left Columbia and founded the renegade College of Physicians and Surgeons, competition from which led to the trustees of Columbia to fold the med school. In 1860, P&S became Columbia's medical department and the President of Columbia signed the degrees. In 1891, with Columbia University rapidly on the rise, and P&S in financial trouble at the time, a formal merger was executed, bringing the schools full circle.
P&S has programs in Medicine, Human Nutrition, Psychoanalytic Training and Research, and Physical Therapy.
|Columbia University Schools|
|Architecture, Planning and Preservation • Arts • Arts and Sciences (Graduate School) • Business • Columbia College • Dentistry • Continuing Education • Engineering • General Studies • International and Public Affairs • Journalism • Law • Medicine • Nursing • Public Health • Social Work|
|Barnard • Jewish Theological Seminary • Teachers College • Union Theological Seminary|
|Pharmacy • Library Service|