The Harriman Institute is a leading center for the advancement of knowledge in the fields of Russian, Eurasian, and Eastern European studies. Founded in 1946 as the "Russian Institute", it was the first academic center in the United States dedicated to the interdisciplinary of Russia and the USSR. Its offices are located on the 12th floor of IAB.
In 1982, the Institute was renamed the "W. Averell Harriman Institute for the Advanced Study of the Soviet Union" in honor of Harriman's endowing the institute with a $10 million gift, the largest in the University's history at the time.
In 1992, with the collapse of the Soviet Union, the institute adopted its current name.
The institute sponsors conferences, lectures, discussions, colloquia, and exhibitions throughout the year. They also sponsor the Harriman Lecture.