Fu Foundation School of Engineering and Applied Science

(Difference between revisions)
Jump to: navigation, search
m
m
Line 5: Line 5:
 
|Dean=Donald Goldfarb (Interim)
 
|Dean=Donald Goldfarb (Interim)
 
|Degrees=[[BSE]], [[MSE]], [[Eng.Sc.D]], [[Prof. Degree]]
 
|Degrees=[[BSE]], [[MSE]], [[Eng.Sc.D]], [[Prof. Degree]]
|Enrollment=1,425 Undergraduate, 2,267 Graduate students (2011)
+
|Enrollment=1,531 Undergraduate; 1,652 Masters; 697 PhD  (2012)
 
|Research Expenditure=$110 million (2011)
 
|Research Expenditure=$110 million (2011)
 
|Website=[http://www.engineering.columbia.edu/ http://www.engineering.columbia.edu/]
 
|Website=[http://www.engineering.columbia.edu/ http://www.engineering.columbia.edu/]

Revision as of 11:38, 26 October 2012

School of Engineering and Applied Science
SEAS new logo.jpg
Established 1864
President {{{President}}}
Dean Donald Goldfarb (Interim)
Degrees BSE, MSE, Eng.Sc.D, Prof. Degree
Enrollment 1,531 Undergraduate; 1,652 Masters; 697 PhD (2012)
Website http://www.engineering.columbia.edu/

The Fu Foundation School of Engineering and Applied Science (referred to by the Dean as Columbia Engineering, but almost always informally referred to as SEAS), is the engineering school of Columbia. No one calls it Fu. Ever. It awards degrees in engineering, applied physics and applied mathematics. SEAS was founded as the School of Mines in 1863 and then the School of Mines, Engineering and Chemistry before becoming the School of Engineering and Applied Science. It was the country's first such institution. In 1997, the school was renamed in honor of Chinese businessman Z. Y. Fu, who had donated $26 million.

The school was founded in 1864 by Thomas Egleston Jr. as the School of Mines. The school was originally located in Lewisohn Hall and Mathematics Hall, which then known as Engineering and Mines. The construction of the Seeley W. Mudd Building in the 60's allowed the school to move into more spacious quarters on the northeast corner of the main campus. Due to the growth of the school in the past four decades, further expansion was determined necessary, leading to the planning of the Northwest Science Building, which opened in the spring of 2011.

The school maintains a close relationship with Columbia College, and undergraduate students from both schools fall under the oversight of the Division of Student Affairs.

Departments

Columbia University Schools
Architecture, Planning and PreservationArtsArts and Sciences (Graduate School)BusinessColumbia CollegeDentistryContinuing EducationEngineeringGeneral StudiesInternational and Public AffairsJournalismLawMedicineNursingPublic HealthSocial Work
Affiliated Institutions
BarnardJewish Theological SeminaryTeachers CollegeUnion Theological Seminary
Defunct Schools
PharmacyLibrary Service
Personal tools
Namespaces
Variants
Actions
Navigation
Toolbox