Barnard Hall

From WikiCU
Jump to: navigation, search

Barnard Hall, originally known as Students Hall, is one of the older buildings on the campus of Barnard College and remains its campus' architectural focal point and administrative center, thanks in large part to its location directly opposite the campus gates on Broadway. Its design is very similar to the McKim, Mead, and White classroom buildings on Columbia's campus across the street, and it and the Barnard gates line up with the east-west axis of the Columbia campus through Earl Hall, Low Library, and St. Paul's Chapel. Nevertheless, it was actually designed by Arnold W. Brunner. It was built between 1916 and 1917.[1]

In addition to classrooms and offices, Barnard Hall houses LeFrak Gymnasium, a pool, and a large dance studio in the Barnard Annex.