(Converted in 1995)
|University Residence Halls|
|548 West 113th Street • 600 West 113th Street • Broadway • Carlton Arms • Carman • East Campus • 47 Claremont • Furnald • Harmony • Hartley • Hogan • John Jay • McBain • River • Ruggles • Schapiro • Wallach • Watt • Wien • Woodbridge|
47 Claremont is one of the smallest residence halls. Originally an apartment building called the Malvern House, it is made up entirely of suites for sophomores and upperclassmen. These were renovated in 2004 and include hardwood floors, crown mouldings, and new kitchen equipment.
It used to have a horrible basement lounge has a wall map of the world during World War II. Lots of countries are occupied by the Nazis, and others have funny old names like Rhodesia. People have written all sorts of funny comments on the map, mainly pro- or anti-colonialism. The basement lounge has been renovated since; there is a mini-gym for your sweaty needs and a large tv for your movie nights (sometimes someone forgets to sign out of their Netflix account).
Claremont is also mildly haunted and the oven vents and windows will open and close without human agency. The fourth floor in particular has recently been the focal point of suspected paranormal activities. Says one resident, "I really think there are ghosties here." The ghosties are not available for comment.
Each suite has a kitchen, but not a common room. There is one elevator for the 6-floor building. There is bike storage and a computer lab available in the basement.
- 6 3-person suites with 3 singles
- 6 4-person suites with 4 singles
- 1 1st floor 5-person suite
- 1 1st floor 6-person suite with 4 singles and 1 double
- 10 7-person suites with 3 singles and 2 doubles
- Building has its own superintendent and janitor who generally get things done faster than Housing Services - a huge advantage most upperclassmen have learned to love.
- Short walk to Riverside Park
- LOTS of inhumanely tiny 81 sq ft rooms (3C, 1E and 2E lines).
- VERY far from everything except Barnard. It is highly advisable to beg security for swipe access to the Barnard tunnels.
- Can be anti-social. Little suite-to-suite interaction.
- Views more obstructed/non-existent than you'd think.
- Dean Quigley lives next door, and his secretary will occasionally email residents to complain about the noise.
- Bunk beds?
<googlemap lat="40.810125" lon="-73.963839" type="map" zoom="16" width="500" height="300" controls="small"> 40.810125, -73.963839, 47 Claremont residence hall </googlemap>
47 Claremont Ave.
New York, NY 10027