600 West 113th Street
|600 W. 113th St.|
|Built||1898 (Converted in 2003)|
|University Residence Halls|
|548 West 113th Street • 600 West 113th Street • Broadway • Carlton Arms • Carman • East Campus • 47 Claremont • Furnald • Harmony • Hartley • Hogan • John Jay • McBain • River • Ruggles • Schapiro • Wallach • Watt • Wien • Woodbridge|
600 West 113th Street, known in Columbia-speak as Nussbaum for its location above Nussbaum and Wu, is a residence hall that was converted from an apartment building in 2003. Floors 2, 3, 4, 5, 9, and 10 are occupied by undergraduates, while the remaining floors are occupied by UAH tenants and some private tenants. UAH tenants include graduate and General Studies students.
Each floor has a central hallway and four suites, although many suite doors are left permanently open. Many of the A and D suites and the B and C suites have connecting doorways. All rooms have hardwood floors. There are two tiny lounges in the building, giving it a generally claustrophobic feel.
B and C suites share a large kitchen. A suites have smaller kitchens. D suites have very small kitchens.
There is a laundry room in the basement that is free for all students. Unlike many other dorms *cough cough Carman*, people don't typically take your wet clothes out of the dryers if you're 5 minutes late to get them. However, the basement level of Nuss will never fail to great you with an assembly of semi-dead roaches.
- 46 doubles
- 53 singles
- 9 walk-through doubles
Advantages and disadvantages
- Relatively nice entrance and hallways (bright and well-lit).
- 4:1 student to bathroom ratio.
- Friendly building staff. Maintenance goes through a superintendent, not Columbia, so it is handled quickly.
- Convenient location on Broadway.
- Some rooms have private bathrooms.
- A7 and D2 line singles have private bathrooms.
- D1 and A1 line doubles have private bathrooms.
- C1 line doubles sometimes have private bathrooms and walk-in closet, contrary to floor plan.
- Good number of walkthrough doubles
- Sophomores in groups of 8 can clean out all the doubles in a suite or floor, essentially taking the suite for themselves.
- The basement is inhabited by a multiplying family of cats that meow meow meow.
- Minor rat/mice infestation
- Less social because the suitemates don't know each other, nor are all the rooms on a central hallway.
- You can't choose your suitemates, which can be problematic.
- Only 2 suites have a lounge.
- No real building lounge or computer lab.
- Lower floors sometimes infested with cockroaches.
- Toilets get clogged easily and the building is aware of that, even keeps a plunger in almost every suite bathroom. Also, shared bathrooms are disgusting. They rarely get cleaned - yuck!
- During the summer with AC units installed, building electricity supply is not enough since lights flicker and sometimes goes off for minutes before turning back on.
- Exposed ceiling pipes in some bathrooms
- It has cats that yowl and yowl and yowl.
600 W. 113th St.
New York, NY 10025
<googlemap lat="40.806178" lon="-73.965763" type="map" zoom="16" width="500" height="300" controls="small"> 40.806178, -73.965763, 600 W 113th St residence hall </googlemap>