Ticket and Information Center
The Ticket and Information Center (TIC) is a project of the Office of the Provost and the Arts Initiative at Columbia University. The TIC is a full-service online and live box office and information center located in the lobby of Lerner Hall. Since opening in January 2008, the TIC has sold over 500,000 discounted tickets to Columbia students.
Through the TIC, Columbia students, faculty, and staff can:
- Buy tickets and/or RSVP to free on-campus events, performances, lectures and symposia.
- Sell tickets to an organization's on-campus event, performance, lecture or symposia either through the live ticket center in Lerner, the online system, or both.
- Buy discounted tickets to performances, films, and events in and around New York City.
- Get information about all the resources that the Arts Initiative, the TIC, and Columbia University at large has to offer regarding getting involved with the arts on and off campus.
By special arrangement with Telecharge and select Broadway producers, the TIC created an alternative to student rush by selling student-priced tickets in advance. In the past, the TIC has provided discount tickets to Broadway and off-Broadway shows including A Chorus Line, August: Osage County, Avenue Q, Boeing Boeing, Chicago, Cirque Dreams: Jungle Fantasy, Cry Baby, Curtains, Gypsy, Hairspray, Les Liaisons Dangereuses, Mamma Mia!, My First Time, Passing Strange, The Phantom of the Opera, Rent, Spamalot, Spring Awakening, and Sunday in the Park with George. Discount student tickets normally fall between $20 and $30. Students can log in to a secure site through the TIC website to check the availability of shows and dates with tickets for purchase. Tickets purchased through Telecharge may be picked up at the theater's box office only by showing one valid CUID for each ticket purchased.
The TIC offers discount movie vouchers for various theaters throughout the city. Voucher prices range from $5.50 to $8.50, compared to a normal ticket price of $12. Theaters offering vouchers or student tickets include AMC Loews Theaters, City Cinemas/Angelika Film Center, Clearview Cinemas/Angelika, and Regal Cinemas.
Registering Events with the TIC
Recognized students groups can register on-campus and sanctioned off-campus events through the TIC through a request form found on the TIC website. The TIC will help groups sell tickets or keep track of event attendees through a RSVP list. The TIC requests that groups give notification of an event at least two weeks prior to its start date.
Individuals, student organizations, classes, departments, and other groups wishing to purchase group tickets may do so through the Arts Initiative website. Interested groups can select an event from a TIC calendar listing or another resource and submit a Group Ticket Request form, available on the TIC website. TIC staff will then try to find a price and date suited to the group's needs.
Some of the events made available to students in collaboration with the TIC include:
- The Varsity Show
- Bacchanal Concert 2008 featuring The National with special guest Grizzly Bear
- Concerts by the Columbia University Orchestra and Wind Ensemble
- Mainstream film series by Columbia's Ferris Reel Film Society, including There Will Be Blood, 3:10 to Yuma, No Country for Old Men, and Before the Devil Knows You're Dead in the spring 2008 term
- Theater productions by on-campus groups like CU Players, NOMADS, the Black Theatre Ensemble, the Columbia Musical Theatre Society, Latenite Theatre, and more
- Lectures by Columbia University Artist Oliver Sacks
- The Columbia University National Undergraduate Film Festival (CUNUFF) for student filmmakers across the country, and the Columbia University Film Festival for student thesis work from the Columbia University Graduate Film Division in the School of the Arts
- Staged reading of Books One and Two of the Iliad by Aquila Theatre Company
- A variety of events from on-campus cultural, student life, political, dance, music, and Greek organizations
- Tickets to a number of Off-Broadway plays during Columbia's Off-Broadway week
- Performances at the Metropolitan Opera, including productions of Peter Grimes, Ernani, La Fille du Regiment, and Satyagraha, and at the New York City Opera, including productions of Tosca, Madame Butterfly, and Candide
- Columbia nights at Fuerzabruta, Lincoln Center, and the New York City Ballet
- New York Philharmonic performances
- Film screenings, including Young @ Heart, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Fool's Gold, Man on Wire, and Dog Day Afternoon
- Free tickets to a speaker series event at Radio City Music Hall featuring Tucker Carlson, Ariana Huffington, and James Carville, moderated by Anderson Cooper
Hours, Location, and Contact Information
Mondays & Sundays - CLOSED. Tuesdays - Saturdays 1 pm to 8 pm. The TIC is open two hours before most on campus events ticketed through the box office.
- Ticket and Information Center
- Attn: Rudy Scala
- 2920 Broadway
- 7519 Lerner Hall
- New York, NY 10027
For more information, the TIC can be reached by phone at (212) 851-0419 or by email at email@example.com.